What else was happening in 1964...
The first properties that Martyn Gerrard marketed in 1964 were an 'ultra-modern' apartment in Barnet at an asking price £3,250 and a three bedroom house in Whetstone being sold for £4,650
- Harold Wilson became Prime Minister
- Sony introduced the first VCR home video recorder
- The top films of the year included My Fair Lady, Goldfinger, Dr Strangelove, A Hard Day’s Night and Mary Poppins
- British and French Governments announced a commitment to build a tunnel under the Channel
- The Government announced plans to build three new towns in South East England to act as overspill for overpopulated London. One of these was centred on the small village of Milton Keynes
- BASIC, an easy to learn, high level computer programme language was introduced
- The death penalty in the UK was abolished
- The World’s first high speed rail network opened in Japan.