< Back to all articles
How big is your home?
Posted on 8/01/20
- New research from Barclays Mortgages reveals over half (57%) of British homeowners don’t know the size of their home and one in four don’t understand what a square foot is.
- However, one third consider property size more important than location in choosing their home, 38% wish they had moved into a bigger property and 37% plan on improving their homes in 2020 to create more space.
- In 2019 in England and Wales the average internal size of a detached property sold was 1,249 sq.ft., just under half the size of a standard tennis court, while the average terraced property is on par with the size of a badminton court (880 sq. ft.).
- Price per square foot is a useful indicator for vendors pricing property or buyers comparing different properties.
- At 59 sq. ft., the smallest house in the UK is in Conwy, Wales. The property was lived in until 1900 when it was declared unfit for human habitation.